Thursday, July 7, 2011

What are You Living For?

"They promise them freedom, while they themselves are slaves of depravity--for a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him." 2 Peter 2:19
Just the other day we celebrated the anniversary of our countries freedom from oppression and the birth of our independence as a nation. It would be interesting to hear what our founding fathers would have to say about the condition of our country today. Would they call it a tyranny? Would they say we need a revolution? That taxes are too high, and that politicians rather than the people are running the country? I can hear them now.
"Any people that would give up liberty for a little temporary safety deserves neither liberty nor safety."  Benjamin Franklin 
How quickly we move away from our foundations. A little compromise here and there and before we know it we hardly recognize ourselves.

You know when I first became a Christian I was on fire. I knew exactly what my purpose was and I didn't care who knew, or what ridicule I would get. And believe me I got ridiculed a lot.

Sometimes I wonder if the church would be recognizable to the founding patriarchs. What would Paul, Peter, or John say to us? Would they say that we are asleep? Or that we have become lazy? Would they say we are out of our minds wasting our time in our daily struggle, when our real purpose is that of Christ? 

I don't know what they would say, but I do know what Jesus says

"The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me." John 12:25-26

 I think this video from Francis Chan says it perfectly. 




Blessings my friends!







 

No comments:

Post a Comment