Monday, August 15, 2011

By The Grace of a Holy God

I am a safety person. While many other parents I know are very lax on car safety, I avidly follow the car seat laws and insist that mine wear a belt, sit in the back till they are 12, and sit in the proper car seat until they are old enough.

I mean, it takes nothing to buckle them in, and only a moment to lose them in an accident.

So yesterday when we were careening down the freeway at 70 mph with our kids, I didn't have any fear of problems.

When I saw the traffic up ahead come to a sudden stop and my husband wasn't slowing I began to scream for him to stop. As the car in front of us came closer and closer I knew we were going to hit it hard. At the last second my husband veered to the left shoulder and narrowly missed the car while sending us almost into a steep ditch that would have flipped the car had he not been able to keep us on the thin edge.

Somewhere in the craziness I heard my son yell from the back seat "Sarah fell out!" Panicked I turned and yelled "What?!" and saw her on the floor of our truck.


In the hustle to get out the door to an event we were to attend I just neglected to buckle her in. Something I rarely do. In a moment I could have lost my precious girl!

A flood of thoughts came at me all at once as I realized just how bad that "could" have been. I pictured in my mind that if we had actually hit the car in front she would have flown through the windshield. How if we had rolled the car down the embankment she would have rolled around the car and probably been thrown out of a window and killed too.


I immediately was so thankful.... Words can not do justice to the thankfulness I had for Gods protective hand yesterday. I sobbed in thankfulness. Later last night, as I heard the news highlights of children killed in plane crashes in my area, of concert stands killing people, of car crashes in other areas... I was in awe of why God saw fit to protect us from this tragedy.

I have no answers, just this scripture
"For he says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion."" Romans 9 :15

And I was struck at how he is a HOLY God. Have you thought about how HOLY he is lately? In our culture we think of our 'Friend' Jesus... and the 'Grace' of God... But have you thought about his utter  Holiness lately? I think we need to have a fresh revelation of just how holy he is. I think we need to learn to be thankful for the privilege of having a breath today, and realize that we have no rights apart from what he gives us. I think we need to remember that though he is loving and though he is full of grace he is also a Holy God who is to be revered.

"Day and night they never stop saying: 'Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come.' Whenever the living creatures give glory, honor and thanks to him who sits on the throne and who lives for ever and ever, the twenty-four elders fall down before him who sits on the throne, and worship him who lives for ever and ever. They lay their crowns before the throne and say: 'You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being.'" Revelation 4:8-11
Blessings,



3 comments:

  1. PTL, Kari! I know your heart is so grateful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kari...I just cried as I read this...God is so good--I'm so glad you were all ok and that little Sarah was protected--thank you Lord for your love and mercy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for such a bittersweet reminder of how so often we just take His hedge of protection around us and our families for granted. Happy that you were all kept safe.

    ReplyDelete