Monday, April 4, 2011

Treasures From the Beach

Something happens in me when I hit the Beach. Have you ever seen the Pacific Ocean on a cloudy/sunny day? When the water is that stormy green color so unique and so powerful? When you can look to the horizon and see the sky meet the ocean for as far as you can see? Where the wind is blowing immense waves that crash against the rocks and spray high in the air? Where the sandy beach is littered with huge water worn driftwood and sand-smoothed stones? The awesomeness of it all makes me feel so small, and problems become irrelevant.



I am a beach comber. I love to see what treasures have been washed ashore by the sea. I adore the rocks that have been smoothed. I fill my pockets with the most special . Hours can be spent doing nothing but searching the rocks for just the right ones, creating sculptures and giving thanks for the beauty of such small common things. However common they may be, I consider them treasures.




As I was standing on the beach taking in this scene yesterday something relaxed in my soul.  Something I didn't even know was tensed. With all this splendor, with all this awesome raw power, I felt so small, so insignificant, so utterly powerless. Yet God says he treasures me (and you) above all things. We are his treasured possession. We are the rare beauty he loves.
"The king is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord." Psalm 45:11


The awesome power and wonder of the immense ocean is something to behold and I see my LORD in it. How powerful the crashing waves are, yet how beautiful and somehow gentle, soothing, and calming. Glorious.

I feel so small and so frail compared to these surroundings. Yet infinately more powerful because of  who remains in me. Because we were chosen, and empowered by the ONE who created the sea and gave it it's power. We know that when we remain in HIS power we will not be subdued by the things of this world, but we will subdue it by the power of the ONE who wills it to be so. The One who is our first love, Jesus. Thank you Lord for these Treasures from the Beach.

2 comments:

  1. It is soo good to rest and relax in Jesus. I love that verse! So good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first time to visit your blog. I love it! It is beautiful! I love your header and font. I applaud you for lifting up our Redeemer and Savior. I invite you to my blog sometime. It is new so doesn't have that much on it yet, but it is a combination of God, happiness, smileys, and even a little cooking thrown in for good measure. www.servinguphappiness.com
    Once again, I loveeeeee your blog. I will keep coming back. BTW, I have never seen the ocean, but it is my #1 thing on my list of things to do someday. I will see it through your eyes! Have fun and enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete