Friday, September 24, 2010

Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Basil Soup

The Lord gave me a bounty of Tomatoes and Basil one year. I wanted to be resourceful and really use all that the Lord gave, so I decided to make soup. I looked through tons of recipes, and nothing was exactly what I wanted, so I made one up!! And this is my creation. It has a few extra steps, but the steps really pay off in flavor! This also makes an amazing sauce for Tortellini (Yummm-O!) Hope you like it.

Kari's Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato-Basil Soup


12-14 Medium to Large Tomatoes
1 Whole Head of Garlic
6 Red Peppers
1 Cup Diced Onion
2 Cups Packed fresh basil leaves 
3-4 Cups Chicken Stock 
1 Cup Half and Half
1/3 Cup Sour Cream
1 tsp Sugar
2Tbs Olive Oil
1Tbs Butter
Salt and pepper to taste

Step 1 The Roasting process! Roasting really brings out an amazing rich flavor!



12-14 Tomatoes (medium to large) cut into 1/4 wedges
1 whole head of Garlic unpeeled

Place the tomatoes on a baking sheet  and roast at 450 for about 40-50 minutes or until all the moisture is evaporated. Roast the garlic till soft, remove from oven and cool, then squeeze out garlic pulp

I would NOT recommend separating the garlic like I have here in this Picture. It is much better to roast the whole head of garlic.  
Roast 6 Red Peppers till black but not burned through.
Cool slightly and remove skin and seeds.



Step 2  All together in the pot!

Saute 1 cup Onion in 2Tbs Olive oil and 1 Tbs butter till soft. Add a pinch of salt and 2 Cups Fresh Basil. Continue to saute till very soft. Add 1tsp sugar and coarse black pepper to taste.


Add Tomato, pepper, garlic, and chicken stock to pot and simmer for approx. 1/2 hour over medium heat.

Step 3 Blend!

Blend in a food processor till smooth and strain through a fine mesh sieve to remove seeds and tomato skins. 

Step 4 BLING!!

Return soup to the pot.  Add half and half and sour cream, warm through, adjust for salt and pepper and enjoy!
Now I must tell you at this point that you don't really have to add the half and half and sour cream. It is so good with out it, but it becomes extra special with this touch of cream and richness. I love this as a soup or as a sauce for pasta. I hope you all enjoy this soup as much as me! It's a great way to use up some of your tomato bounty. Enjoy!

Blessings!

Kari

3 comments: